About the Role
The Educational Assistant will be a part of the Elementary team, focused on providing individualized learning opportunities for each student with the end goal of improving their reading, writing and math skills. The Educational Assistant will exhibit patience, commitment to student success, humility and flexibility to meet students where they are. This role is perfect for someone with at least 5 years prior experience working with kids with special needs or behavioural challenges, and a strong desire to make a positive difference in a life of a child. In addition, this role will be leading an after-school care program for elementary staff children.
Please note that this role starts on August 17, 2021 and the hours for this position will be 9 am to 5 pm.
Highlights of Key Responsibilities
- Work in small group settings and/or one-on-one with students on reading growth with students as part of our reading centre.
- Understand student learning profiles and apply appropriate strategies and interventions.
- Foster a safe, secure, predictable environment where all students are comfortable, connected and cared for, encouraging them to take risks and participate.
- Take students’ prior learning, needs, and interests into account in the design of the learning experience.
- Provide supervision and a variety of engaging activities for students of various ages (K-6) in the after-school care program
- Build strong relationships with students in your care
- Praise and acknowledge positive student behaviours in a timely and meaningful way.
- Redirect and acknowledge negative student behaviours in a timely and meaningful way.
- Completion of a recognized post-secondary certificate or recognized vocational certificate in child care/development or behaviour management
- Minimum of 5 years prior experience of working with students with special needs
- Demonstrates warmth, respect, enthusiasm, patience, kindness, and empathy
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly motivated, high energy level and initiative
- Demonstrates attention to detail, organization and high work standards
- Evidence of problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Orientation for life-long learning and critical thinking
- Effectively manages stress, is flexible, and can adapt quickly