For the last 12 years, each October our school community brings 24 high school volleyball teams together to celebrate the empowerment of young women during the annual Dig Pink volleyball tournament. Over the course of two days, the teams battle it out to see who will claim the title of tournament champion, while wearing pink, raising funds for the Alberta Cancer Foundation, and showcasing their commitment to their sport and altruistic spirit. Our entire school jumps on board to support this important cause for breast cancer research. Hundreds of students pack our gymnasium for a pep rally that highlights the importance of altruism, and we spend an entire week reflecting on how breast cancer has impacted our individual lives, and how we as a community can help make positive change.
This year, the COVID-19 pandemic forced the cancellation of that tournament. But Dig Pink at CA is about so much more than a volleyball tournament, and our community is resilient. Today kicks off a week-long spirit week, and our mission to support the Alberta Cancer Foundation is more important than ever.
Here is a breakdown of some of the events and activities throughout the week:
- Dig Pink Buttons and Disposable Masks – These will be dropped off to homerooms early in the week. Students can wear these on Friday, October 23.
- Dig Pink Silent Auction: October 19 – 23 – Our silent auction is now live! The auction runs for two weeks and has a huge variety of items and experiences available to bid on. All proceeds support the Alberta Cancer Foundation.
- Clothing Sale: October 19 – 23 – A limited number of Dig Pink hats, hoodies, cloth masks, and colour changing mugs will be available to purchase all week during lunch time at the High School front office.
- Crave Cupcake Day: Thursday, October 22 – Cupcakes will be on sale at lunch times in the MPR. All proceeds go to support Dig Pink and the Alberta Cancer Foundation.
- Classroom Contest: Friday, October 23 – Show your support and wear pink! The best dressed class will win a prize. Teachers will submit a full class photo on Friday for the virtual rally that morning.
- Dig Pink Day: Friday, October 23 – There will be a virtual rally from 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. The school will be decorated and all students and staff are encouraged to show their support and wear pink!
Keep reading and make sure to check our social media channels regularly, as we’ll be sharing a new story each day that showcases our community connections, brings back familiar faces, and celebrates our student athletes!
This year’s event aims to raise $4,000 from donations and clothing sales, and we need your help! Please click the Make a Donation button to Alberta Cancer Foundation.