About the Role
The School Nurse will work to promote a healthy school environment and will be responsible for identifying both actual and potential health problems, providing case management services, and collaborating with educators, school leadership, students, and families to ensure students respond positively to their environment. This role will support specifically with all COVID-19 related policy and procedure, offering health guidance and expertise as well as health education support and intervention. The successful candidate will utilize nursing processes, thorough critical thinking, problem solving and decision making, as well as teach, counsel and advocate for a healthy work and learning environment. The School Nurse will play a leadership role in supporting an integrated and holistic approach to health promotion and maintenance, reflecting in the shared vision and values of Headwater Learning Group.
Highlights of Key Responsibilities
- Assist staff and students to achieve their optimal physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health and well-being;
- Assess, diagnose and provide treatment and interventions and make referrals;
- Prevent or treat injury and illness;
- Teach, counsel and advocate to enhance health and well-being;
- Serve as liaisons between school personnel, family, and community healthcare providers to ensure a healthy school environment;
- Develop plans for student care based on assessment, interventions, and identification of outcomes, and the evaluation of care.
- Completion of an accredited nursing education program.
- Active or eligible for registration and practice permit with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA).
- Demonstrated ability to assist students, family members, employees or others with concern and empathy.
- Understanding of adult mental health protocols.
- Strong understanding of Alberta Health Services directives.
This is a short-term position from September to December with a possibility of extension.