About the Role
The Lead Caretaker role is a perfect opportunity for someone with an eye for small details, passion for delivering a great service and strong belief in safety. The Lead Caretaker supervises the work of the evening caretakers to ensure the school well maintained, clean, sanitary, and in good appearance, as well as ensuring, at all times, the school is secure. The successful candidate is responsible to ensure community users utilize the facility in accordance with their rental agreement and the school is secure at all times. This role will ensure the performance of caretaking duties meet Occupational Health and Safety and WHMIS requirements. Your communication skills and organizational abilities combined with five or more years of experience will set you up for success with managing an efficient and proactive team managing a variety of tasks.
Highlight of Key Responsibilities
- Perform assigned cleaning duties
- Supervise the night caretaking staff
- Ensure grounds and parking lots are litter free
- Assist with moving and relocating furniture as needed
- Carry out planned or emergent maintenance projects of the school building and grounds
- Make recommendations for new caretaking and maintenance processes, and standards to assist in achieving effectiveness and efficient service
- Ensure the school is locked and secure at appropriate times. Setting and disarming of alarm system as required.
- Ensure Community Users of the school building utilize the facility in accordance with the rental agreement
- Regularly monitor maintenance standards, lighting and heating use and that windows and doors are secured.
- Collaborate with staff to meet needs of scheduled school events which occur during the evenings
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Five or more years of progressive experience and responsibility in caretaking services is required and two years of supervision experience is preferred.
- Building Operator Level 1 or “B” Certificate or 5th Class Power Engineering Certificate preferred.
- Good time management skills are required
- Good interpersonal communication skills are required.
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple priorities and work on several projects at one time is required.
- Working knowledge of architectural, electrical and mechanical systems is preferred.
- WHMIS certified preferred
- Working knowledge of OH&S Act, Code, and Regulations required.