About the Role
The Learning Commons Coordinator role will support the student needs by offering guidance, resources, sharing knowledge and guiding Learning Commons users. This role will manage and organize library resources, supervise students in the learning space, as well as codesign and facilitate learning experiences with teachers and students. This is a temporary, full-time opportunity working on-premises in the Learning Commons. The term for the position will be from January to end of June 2021.
Highlights of Key Responsibilities
- Assist students in the development of skills and strategies pertaining to independent research and organization.
- Encourage an environment that fosters a love for reading, and passion for life-long learning.
- Provide efficient and timely cataloguing, sorting and filing of teacher and student resources.
- Provide resources for Makerspaces and Project Based Learning in collaboration with teachers and support staff consistent with integrative learning approaches.
- Support the development of the physical space to best meet the needs of users, including displays, access to resources, and collaborative learning spaces.
- Facilitate presentations and tutorials on access to traditional and digital learning resources for students and staff.
- Order and process library texts, book replacements and professional resources using Dewey decimal system, AR, Fountas, Pinnell etc.
- Coordinate yearly bookfair with Scholastic
- Cross train for front desk responsibilities to provide pandemic response support
- General knowledge of library procedures supplemented by post-secondary library courses
- Demonstrated success in a school setting is considered an asset
- Basic or advanced certificate in a recognized Post Secondary Librarian program considered an asset
- Experience learning and adopting new technologies
- Ability to influence change and build strong rapport and relationships with colleagues, students and parents.
- Strong ability to facilitate and lead diverse groups and work with all levels of external team members.
- Maker mindset to promote and assess the Alberta Education competencies of creativity and innovation.
- Familiarity with automated library cataloging and circulation systems, and related software