About the Role
The school cafeteria, Castle Café, is the lunch hub for our students to get access to fresh, healthy food choices that recharge them for the rest of the day. It is also a go-to for school catering needs including award nights, special events and internal meetings. The Food Services Assistant will support the Executive Chef in day-to-day operations of the cafeteria by maintaining food-safe environment, daily food production and organization and stocking of cabinets. You will be interacting with students on daily basis, as well as staff members.
- Manage day-to-day café operations including food preparation and kitchen clean-up.
- Maintain station stock for before and during service time.
- Maintain food safe standards/environment – participate in food waste control by being aware of day to day business trends.
- Follow standardized recipes, use food preparation equipment, some food service during busy lunch hours – breakfast service occasionally, sandwiches, preparing vegetables, salads/dressings
- Keeps kitchen, dish and storage areas clean, stocked and organized – participate in start up and year end ramp up/clean up with Executive Chef and Sous Chef
- Cooking and production – minimum four years of experience
- Food Safe Accreditation Level 1 in good standing
- Ability to stand for extended period of time (90% standing/10% sitting)
- Ability to carry loads up to 35 pounds
- Excellent punctuality and attendance
- Professional communication skills
- Organizational skills – multitasking, working in a small space
- Able to take direction regarding skills performance, develop skills and evolve
Salary and Benefits
This is a part-time position, 5 days/week with working hours from 8:30 am-2 pm. We offer a competitive salary, benefit package and RRSP matching. This role adheres to the school winter and spring holiday schedule, and a modified summer break, returning in August.